White Paper| Digital Signage Using Tablets
Solution for Better Branding and Marketing
Author : 42Gears Team
The beginning of a business, its growth and revenue earnings are totally dependent on it's Branding and Marketing strategies. A successful strategy can reap long term benefits resulting in promotion of business, enhanced brand recognition, loyalty and improved profits through boost in sales.
Forbes listed Brand Experience and Brand Visualization as two of the ten Brand Marketing Trends that will dominate 2013. Enhanced Brand Experience and Visualization through effective strategies and complementing technology thus becomes of utmost importance for businesses.
The strategies involving campaigns through Televisions and Radio does have its own advantages like wide coverage however giving potential customers the brand experience may not be that effective as it is just informational. Static billboards also have great influence in Brand recognition and recall as they are generally placed on busy streets and highways however it has limitations when it comes to being interactive and engaging the customers. Printed advertisements like the ones on newspapers have great potential to focus and reach out to local audience however like all the non digital forms of branding and marketing, they do not help in targeting global audience and have a shelf life of mostly a day. Internet and social media platforms are great medium however the visibility of the brand may be diluted by huge influx of other alternative brands.
Now businesses want to target eyeballs looking at their latest offering when they travel, shop and eat. They want the advertisement presentation to be more attractive and latest content to be in front of their potential customers in blink of an eye.
Few years ago, Digital Signage emerged as a new form of advertising through sophisticated applications of software and hardware. Since, its inception it has been emerging as the most developing media for displaying information. It has the flexibility to communicate two ways rather than just being informational. It can be found at numerous locations such as hotels, restaurants, retail stores, airports, corporate offices, malls. They are used for simple advertisements and also as an interactive medium to collect information from the customers. It started in form of flat screened televisions on walls and in recent years have been overpowered by a surge of portable, powerful, versatile devices around us in forms of smart phones and tablets. These devices are now an essential part of lifestyle and people have grown‐more and more accustomed and dependent on them. In such a situation, using similar devices for displaying marketing content comes as a natural next step for enterprises. Using Tablets isn’t a new phenomenon, but it has revolutionized the way companies use digital signage. Low cost, powerful features like video, audio, Internet browsing, touch screens and easy maintenance makes it an attractive alternative for enterprises. Through scalable deployment of tablets as digital signage solution, enterprises have already started experiencing increase in sales figures and making customer experience more enjoyable than ever.
According to the report “Global Digital Signage Market and its Applications (2011‐2016), the global digital signage market is estimated to generate $3.95 billion in 2011 & $13.2 billion by 2016, at a CAGR of 27.29% from 2011 to 2016. (Source: www.marketsandmarkets.com)
INCEPTION OF DIGITAL SIGNAGE
Digital signage, since its inception in 1994, has been considered the most exciting and effective media for communication. So far, it has been used for information delivery, advertisements and others visual services by utilizing technologies such as LCD, LED, Plasma displays and projected images.
There are now numerous options when it comes to choosing the right digital signage solution for your business. There are multiple aspects to be kept into consideration when opting for the right one. Display content, technology, functionality, manageability and cost efficiency are some of them.
Advantages to Advertisers and Enterprises
- Get the direct response on particular products/brands
- Keep the content fresh and alive by updating it from any locations throughout the day
- Quick conversion of display messaging into sales
- Enhancing footfall of consumers in the premise/store
- Options for up‐selling
- Probability of consumer’s impulse buying increases
- Reduces labor cost
- Information Collection if used as kiosk with touch enabled features
Advantages to Customers and Prospects
- Get updated information about any product/brand
- Compelling and visually appealing
- Innovative and upgraded content
- Enjoyable shopping experience
- Shopping with entertainment
- Get news headlines, information of weather and sports
- Comfortable, interactive and user friendly
- Shop more confidently by viewing all combinations
- Get a view of customized products before purchasing, decreases product returns
- Quick response on queries; less time consuming when looking for information
BENEFITS OF TABLETS AS DIGITAL SIGNAGE SOLUTION
Followings are the benefits of tablets as Digital Signage Solution over others
- Low Cost
- Tablets are many folds cheaper than other conventional digital signage solution. Enterprises can deploy multiple tablets at multiple locations. Easy to Develop Availability of large number of tools and complete ecosystem promoting application development on these tablets makes it easier to develop signage application and user interface.
- Less Failure Rate
- According to Venture development corporation study, Mobile computing device have an average failure rate of 11% while the average failure rate for other comparable device is 38%.
- Wide Variety of Signage Devices
- Many companies like Apple, Dell, HP, Asus, Lenovo, and Microsoft are manufacturing consumer as well as enterprise oriented tablets with wide variety and customized features. Enterprises adopting tablets as digital signage solution get lot more options compared to LCD/Plasma screen based digital signage.
- Advanced Hardware Technology
- Advance hardware technologies such as powerful chips producing less heat and consuming less energy, bright high resolution touch‐screens, long battery life, powerful memory and storage, Wi-Fi and cellular integration are important reasons to adopt tablets as digital signage.
- Multi Purpose Tool
- Tablets can be a video player, an internet device, a table display, a note book, a touch‐screen kiosk. It’s “all in one” specialty makes it a compelling choice for digital signage solution.
IMPLICATIONS AND IMPLEMENTATIONS OF TABLET DEPLOYMENT
In order to bring in tablets as viable and effective digital signage solution, enterprises need to have good understanding on how they operate, what feature sets are available and what kind of tablet suits their requirements? Some managerial and operational impediments related to selection of tablets, software, installation, operational cost and security have to be managed.
The key elements to consider for successful deployment of tablets as Digital Signage are:
- Right Tablet Solution
- Question each business must face is what should be the right solution. It might be a consumer grade tablet, an iPad, Galaxy Tab or an enterprise grade tablet like Motorola ET1, HP Elite pad. The iPad still has the first entry advantage and is likely to dominate the market in future. Apple reports that 86% of Fortune 500 companies are testing or deploying iPads. Many businesses were eagerly waiting for the launch of Microsoft’s Windows 8 with touch screen interface. Few other companies like Asus, Dell, and Lenovo are also making consumer or enterprise oriented tablets.
- Cost Variations
- Enterprises get many options in terms of cost. Tablets span from low cost tablets worth around $50 to feature packed advanced worth above $800. For signage solutions as simple as a wall mounted kiosk taking service feedback, low cost tablets can suffice (example being feedback kiosks in restrooms of Changi Airport, Singapore). For advanced signage solutions which might required high resolution graphics display, more expensive tablets would be required.
- Security and ReliabilityMost of these tablets run consumer grade operating systems (Android, iOS, Windows 8). Companies need to secure these devices before deployment in order to prevent misuse and tampering from target audience, both malicious and unintentional. IPads inherently have few security features inbuilt which can restrict the device usage. For device security, it must be supported by complex pass codes, data encryption and remote wipe-out in the event of theft. To achieve more secure deployment, companies can use some viable software alternatives available in the market like SureLock and SureFox to restrict the device to just white listed application(s) and web site(s). Quite a few MDM solutions are available in market, like SureMDM which can facilitate remote management of these devices to roll out new security configurations, detect security breach and roll out upgrades.
- Approaches to Mounting Tablets
- Floor Stand is simple and affordable, often made of metal and cost about $800.
- Counter Top tablet can be fixed with counter, ideal for cases where people queue in front of a counter. It is less expensive, costing about $500.
- Mobile Casing are useful to assist sales persons, and for taking customer feedback. It may be completely loose, used for the single purpose that needs to move around, or it may be fixed in small area. These mobile kiosks may worth around $50.
- Wall Mounts is ideal solution for using as schedules in meeting room where attention is on the wall. Wall mounts cost around $300.
- The most important thing to consider is where to put tablets. It can be served as a customer selfservice kiosk, scheduling, signage, sales assistance and for feedback. There can be four approaches for mounting:
- Appropriate Presentation for Display and Screen Flow
- With the selection of proper tablet solution and its cost, an appropriate display presentation and screen flow must be taken into consideration. Enterprises can take the advantage of huge skilled developer base, large number of available tools and an engaging community for developing appropriate display and screen flow as applications for these tablet platforms.
Tablets have become ubiquitous in today’s society and add a dimension to mobility that couldn’t be experienced few years back. No matter whatever be the industry, tablets as a digital signage solution not just helps enterprises to build loyalty and brand awareness but enrich customer experience as well. By using tablets, companies convey a message that they are highly focused on customer service. A tablet program doesn’t stand alone but are required to be integrated with an environment & overall marketing plan. It is quite possible to envision a day when people across different disciplines recognize the potential of tablets as digital signage solution and replace large digital signage devices with small but powerful tablets.
- Evolution or revolution? How tablets are changing the Digital signage industry, Ray Reeths
- The role of digital signage and DOOH in a multi‐screen world, Michael Arnett, 05‐10‐2012
- Top 10 rules for Digital Signage, Jeff Porter./li>
- Digital signage menu for android tablets http://www.digitalsignageforum.org
- Global digital signage, Dynamic signage, Electronic signage, Narrowcasting market (2011‐2016)
- Markets & Markets, Jan. 2012
- How digital signage advertising can influence your customer more effectively, David Little, Digital screen media association
- FORBESWOMAN, Susan Gunelius, Contributor, www.forbes.com