Case Study - Hospitality
The Rees Hotel, Queenstown
The Rees Hotel is located in the town of Queenstown on New Zealand’s South Island, and provides world-class service infused with a distinct New Zealand character.
Guests can enjoy a range of modern conveniences, easy access to local activities, and a picturesque view of the Remarkable Mountains across Lake Wakatipu.
The Rees Hotel places a strong emphasis on environmental responsibility (along with a commitment to be carbon neutral) and conserves water and energy wherever possible.
Background and Challenges
The Rees Hotel identified its consumption of paper as a key issue on which to improve. The hotel resolved to replace in-room papers and directories with an electronic system, but they encountered a few concerns that made this difficult:
Location: Queenstown, on New Zealand’s South Island
Challenges: The Rees Hotel wanted to shift guest service tasks from printed media to tablets for environmental benefits. Solution: SureFox enabled the Rees Hotel to offer guests restricted browsing services, successfully balancing ease-of-use with security risk mitigation.
- If guests could access any content on in-room tablets, they could use them for illegal activities or download malware onto the tablets.
- As the Rees Hotel planned to use off-the-shelf tablets, they needed to make sure the tablet interface maintained The Rees Hotel branding in order to thematically match with the hotel’s design.
- As guests had different levels of comfort with tablets, the interface would need to be very accessible and easy-to-use for an array of guests.
SureFox by 42Gears
42Gears had the tools The Rees Hotel needed for modernizing its in-room technology. 42Gears helped The Rees Hotel implement SureFox, 42Gears’ secure web browsing solution. This made it possible to:
Offer guests a restricted web browsing experience that helped them find the information they needed while preventing off-topic browsing. Hotel staff protected SureFox settings with its own password that only staff knew, ensuring guests could not exit SureFox.
- Keep the browsing experience on-brand with a robust range of browser customization options.
- Provide an easy-to-use browser with an intuitive interface.
With 42Gears’ help, The Rees Hotel:
- Successfully digitized and streamlined some key guest service features while substantially cutting down on paper usage.
- Provided guests with a device experience that fell in line with the hotel’s aesthetic and branding (and improved this further by working with a third-party to develop a custom upmarket landing page).
- Avoided alienating less tech-savvy guests even while introducing the in-room tablets.
“We found the SureFox [browser] easy to navigate around. The structure of the configuration is logical. The app is easy to install and has a variety of configuration settings.”
The Rees Hotel & Luxury Apartments, Queenstown, NZ