Case Study - Entertainment
Meow Wolf Improves Customer Engagement with 42Gears UEM
Based in Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA, Meow Wolf is an art collective dedicated to creating unique artistic spaces and experiences.
Meow Wolf created its first permanent exhibition, The House of Eternal Return, in 2016.
That exhibition, which was created with support from famed author George R.R. Martin, uses a custom-designed space to tell a nonlinear story about a family lost in spacetime,
Background and Challenges
Meow Wolf offered audio tours in The House of Eternal Return, for which it provided customers with Samsung tablets. This introduced a few logistical challenges:
- Meow Wolf needed to ensure that users did not navigate away from the app used for the audio tour, as this would distract both users and fellow patrons.
- If customers tried to connect to unapproved Wi-Fi networks, this could compromise the tablets’ security.
- Customers might try to brute-force their way out of approved apps by pressing buttons on the device itself (also known as hardware keys). This could tamper with the tablets’ intended functionality.
Name : Meow Wolf
Industry : Entertainment
Location : Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA.
Products : SureMDM and SureLock
OS : Android
Device Type : Samsung
Challenges : Meow Wolf provided patrons with tablets to experience audio tours of its installations, but the tablets could be distractions or security liabilities.
Solution : SureMDM and SureLock ensured that the tablets would only be used for their intended purpose of playing audio tours.
SureMDM and SureLock by 42Gears
Meow Wolf decided to enlist the help of 42Gears to manage its tablets. 42Gears distinguished itself because its software was easy-to-use and affordable, the generous demo gave Meow Wolf time to test out the software, and the support team helped Meow Wolf through set up.
Specifically, Meow Wolf implemented SureMDM, the 42Gears device management solution, and SureLock, the 42Gears device lockdown solution.
Together, SureMDM and SureLock allowed Meow Wolf to resolve its device-related concerns:
- SureLock helped Meow Wolf lock devices down to only pre-approved apps, preventing them from navigating to any unapproved device functionality. SureLock also allowed Meow Wolf to offer a simple custom interface that was easy for customers to navigate.
- Using SureMDM, Meow Wolf restricted devices so they could only connect to approved networks.
- Meow Wolf used SureLock to deactivate device hardware keys, ensuring that customers could not wreak havoc by pressing the keys.
- By locking down the audio tour tablets, Meow Wolf ensured they would not distract guests from the experience at hand, thereby improving the customer experience.
- Meow Wolf has made its spaces safer by ensuring its tablets cannot be connected to any network that Meow Wolf does not approve.
- Blocking hardware key functionality has further solidified Meow Wolf’s commitment to a distraction-free environment.
“We’re a company of sprints. With 42Gears UEM, we were able to launch our audio tours quickly, get feedback and roll out fixes more efficiently. In just a few hours we were able to understand all of the solution features and find quick solutions with the support team.”
- Jeff Fullerton,
Strategic Development Manager,