Case Study - Technology
Device and App Management was never this
easy for SmartLiberty
Long-term care is quite challenging as it involves a wide range of medical as well as non-medical services for chronically ill or disabled patients. Considering the role of caretakers and operational support required, it becomes inevitable for long-term care institutes to adopt technology in order to help them provide better services. Adoption of digital platforms as a medium of operation helps the institutes, caregivers as well as residents function more efficiently, conveniently and cost effectively.
SmartLiberty was founded in 1998 and currently operates in Switzerland and Europe, with headquarters located in Le Landeron, Switzerland. They combine mobile nurse call, wandering management, assistance call, telephony, WLAN and more than 20 specialized applications to offer the most all-encompassing, long-term care solutions in the market. Their solutions are easy to use, highly secure and are intended to improve quality of life for residents, allowing caregiving institutes to work efficiently.
SmartLiberty provides secure smartphones with their signature apps to long-term care institutes, which in turn distribute the devices to caregivers and residents to perform daily assistance functions like nurse calls, general assistance, healthcare-related communications and even technical help calls.
Industry : Technology
Location : Switzerland
Product : SureLock and SureMDM
Operating System : Android
Devices : Samsung KNOX Devices
Some of the challenges faced by SmartLiberty
SmartLiberty provides large number of mobile devices to different long-term care institutes (clients) situated at different locations. Initially, the apps installed in the devices were updated using Google Play Store. These pool of devices and apps were shared among staffs and caregivers at the institutes. They faced the following challenges with their deployments:
1. SmartLiberty was not able to update their applications on the deployed devices at different client sites using Google Play Store. As Play Store allows only one version of an application to be hosted, they were not able to host different customized applications for different institute locations, which meant only a certain site was getting correct update from the Play Store.
2. SmartLiberty had to deploy application updates manually on each mobile device, one at a time, this increased the overall deployment and maintenance cost. . The whole update process became time consuming and inefficient with increase in their client base.
They were looking for an MDM solution which could:
- Make deployment and update of applications on mobile devices quick and easy.
- Provide real time update and configure applications remotely at different site locations.
- Enable remote control on mobile devices to understand customers problems and troubleshoot them remotely.
- Secure mobile devices with a lockdown but still keep them flexible for users with access to allowed apps and functions.
SmartLiberty approached 42Gears and was recommended to use 42Gears UEM on their Samsung KNOX enabled Android devices. SureLock in 42Gears UEM provided the advanced mobile device lockdown feature that helps lock down Android devices to only approved apps. On the other hand, SureMDM from 42Gears UEM helps to remotely update apps on the deployed devices, making the process less time consuming and more streamlined.
SmartLiberty is using the following 42Gears UEM features:
Installation Job - This feature helps them to remotely silently install and update the apps on the device. Their admin simply select the folder where the app is present on the device and replace it with the new version.
SureMDM Profiles - Features such as System, Application, Network and Wi-Fi Settings are being used to remotely and efficiently configure a large number of deployed devices at different client sites.
Remote Control - SmartLiberty uses this feature to remotely access the screens of deployed devices on the client site to provide easy offshore support. They can now remotely not only view but can also control the device screens to diagnose and troubleshoot technical concerns.
1. The time in the app updation process has reduced from a day to just 5 minutes.
2. Their mobile device management capacity has now increased from a dozen to more than a thousand.
3. Configuring, updating, and keeping the deployed device secure at client sites has become quick and easy, making it possible for them to provide fast and efficient support to thousands of customers.
4. With comprehensive lockdown of deployed mobile devices, they are able to offer device pooling at the client site which has significantly reduced device and data security issues as well as overall operational costs.
“ The main benefit for us is to have a partner that abstracts the complexity of the ever-growing amount of smartphone devices and version. With 42Gears tools, we are able to provide fast and efficient support to thousands of customers, from a single pane of glass. As the solution is mobile device centric and not user-centric, it offers us a flexible way of working with our clients, that are pooling smartphones to reduce costs. ”
- Tobias Britz,